Paul’s heart lies in traditional climbing, especially in his homeland of Ireland, however he is constantly drawn away on all types adventures in all corners of the earth. Paul is a qualified IFMGA Mountain Guide. This means Skiing, Sport Climbing, Ice Climbing, Big Wall Climbing and Mountain Biking are all high on Paul’s list of distractions and his main problem in life is having enough time to fit in all the fun. His desire to climb became the basis on which he made most of his life decisions, and it’s no surprise that climbing and travelling have taken him all over the world.
Paul not only aspires to experience fantastic adventures and progress his own skills....he has a passion for developing climbing at a grass roots level. After spending 4 years as a Youth Development Officer for Mountaineering Ireland, he identified the significance of participation and of teaching young climbers the importance of experiencing the mountains responsibly and safely. In addition, he plays a key role in the promotion of climbing in Ireland, which has recently resulted in the biggest (and reportedly the best) Fair Head Climbing meet.
Paul’s main motivation is to get out there, get stuck in and seek out adventure, whilst maintaining a lifestyle of freedom, quality friendships, good music and good beer. He is great at doing the simple things right and living the outdoor lifestyle...with his van and his dog he’s a happy man – oh and his wife Ellie!
A selection of my memorable climbs have been the following:
- The Nose in 17 hrs, Yosemite
- The Rostrum, 5.11c 11 pitches, Yosemite
- Astroman, 5.11c 12 pitches and maybe the most famous hard multi-pitch route in the world
- North Face Petit Dru, TD+, 3 days and lots of pitches, Chamonix
- Wall of Fossils, E4 6a, The Burren
- Main Mast, E2 5b, 3 pitches, Sail Rock Donegal.
- Hell’s Kitchen Arete, E6 6a/b, Fair Head
- Dot’s Delight Direct, E2 5a/b, Lower Cove, Mournes
- The Grand Wall, 5.11c, 16 pitches Squamish +Roman Chimneys (remember that Ricky Bell?)
- Rai Des Faisse, ED2, North Face Pic Sans Nom, Ecrins.
- Rigor Mortis, E2 5c, Castle Rock, Lake District
- Old Friends, E4 5c, Stanage, Peak District